Star Trek: Aftermath (Klingon Phase)
Fleet Organization in Starfleet
1. Numbered Fleet (7th Fleet) – Consists of several hundred ships, all localized in a specific region of space. There are currently 9+ Fleets operating in Starfleet.
2. Task Force – A fleet of ships for a special task such as assault, protection, or diplomacy and generally bigger than the relatively small Battle Group. Like the Battle Group, the number of ships in a Task Force can vary greatly, from as few as 50 to several hundred, generally broken into 2 or more Battle Groups.
3. Battle Group – Battle Groups consist of an arbitrary number of ships, usually gathered temporarily for a single mission that typically involve combat. A Battle Group will contain 2 or more Squadrons.
4. Wing – A Wing is a grouping of several ships for a specific purpose. Usually a Wing is named for the mission type, for instance the 18th Tactical Wing or Galaxy Exploration Wing. A Wing will contain 2 or more Squadrons.
5. Squadron (Tactical Squadron 28) – Squadrons are a small group of three to five ships typically. They are named for their mission type just as a Wing is.
6. Unit – Generally refers to a single ship.